Through the year's Elmwood was first known as the "Giboney Place" after the original family that owned it since they laid claim in 1797. Alexander and Rebecca Giboney traveled from territory now known as West Virginia, down the Ohio River and crossed the Mississippi River at Cairo, landing above New Madrid at Byrd's Point. Alexanders brother-in-law established in the new territory in 1795, just after Lorimer settle in 1793. They built and lived in a one room "cabin", later building a larger frame homestead. Mr. Giboney died in 1804, and Rebecca Ramsey continue managing the plantation, originally 400 Arpens until her death in 1840. Her son Andrew Giboney began building the large brick manor house in the mid 1840's. His only surviving child, Mary Hunter Giboney returned home at the end of the civil war, and began active management of the place. Mary married Louis Houck and they continued living with her father until his death in 1875.
Copyright 2020, Mid America Regional Information Systems, Inc.(MARIS). All rights reserved. Mid America Regional Info Systems does not display the entire IDX database of Mid America Regional Information Systems, Inc. (MARIS MLS) on this web site. Property listings of some REALTOR® brokerage firms have been excluded. Listings displaying the MARIS logo are courtesy of the participants of Mid America Regional Information Systems Internet Data Exchange. Information provided deemed to be reliable but is not guaranteed to be accurate. Buyers are advised to verify all facts before making a decision on purchasing a property. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for the data herein, or for their use or interpretation by the user. Mid America Regional information Systems, Inc. (MARIS) will not be held responsibility for the content of such records.